I recently wrote my first-ever personal column for the paper. It appeared in print Nov. 9. It was fun writing it and I received some nice compliments and feedback. I hope you enjoy it!
Night owl editor roosts in Ashland
You don’t know me but I am at your home or business every day. For the past three years, I have had the privilege of designing the front page of your newspaper five days a week. It is a huge responsibility and one that I take very seriously.
Night watchman. Night nurse. Night editor. (That last one is me, by the way.) I have always been what is commonly referred to as a “night owl” so I suppose it’s only fitting that I finally have a job with the word “night” actually in the title. Of course, I do more than just lay out Page 1 at The Daily Press. On any given night I am responsible for 6-12 other inside pages, including the Milestones page and Page Two. It can be very challenging and at times frustrating when the technology and/or equipment don’t function as expected, but it’s always rewarding.
And never dull! I have had many amazing newspaper experiences since taking my first job out of college at The Times-Press in Streator, Ill. I have ridden on a fire truck in Portage, explored the underground remnants of an all-but-forgotten speakeasy in my hometown, gone on a hair-raising ride-along with a very nice member of the Columbia County Sheriff’s Dept., and written a first-person account of my eye surgery (radial keratotomy). My job at the Press doesn’t involve reporting so now my adventures in journalism revolve around the newsroom, pressroom and making that dreaded deadline. But believe me, that’s excitement enough these days.
Although I have had a colorful work history outside of journalism, including a period when I both delivered prescription medicine for a pharmacy and worked as a clerk at a liquor store (I used to enjoy the look I would get from strangers when I told them my line of work was drugs and alcohol), I’ve mostly held the title of some sort of editor at the five newspapers for which I have worked: production editor, feature editor, associate editor, etc. I have a B.A. in journalism with a news/editorial emphasis and a minor in English from Northern Illinois University, the first in my family to obtain a college degree.
Looking back, I think writing and editing were in the cards for me from childhood. I certainly had an early love for the written word. I enjoyed writing so much that in grade school I used to copy out pages from books I found on the living room shelf (“Ivanhoe” was one, I recall). I would write sentences onto lined notebook paper just to see the words come out of my own hand. The gift of a Smith-Corona typewriter one Christmas opened up a whole new world of possibilities.
I can remember when I was in third or fourth grade putting together my own little household publication, typewritten and hand-illustrated or featuring pictures cut from my mom’s Good Housekeeping magazines. My little newsletter contained stories about what my mom was cooking for supper, what my stuffed animals were up to and what rotten things my younger sister had done to me that week. I also had several international pen pals from a variety of locales, including China and Nigeria. (It’s strange to think of that now and the pleasure it afforded me because no one has “pen pals” anymore. Stupid e-mail!)
I grew up in northern Illinois and resided in my hometown of Ottawa for 37 years before moving to Madison in 1998, the year Wisconsin celebrated its sesquicentennial and the year I discovered the magic that is Big Top Chautauqua. I was there that wonderful October night at the Madison Civic Center when those marvelous folks performed “30th Star.” It was everything I had been told and more because it combined two of my favorite interests: history and music. I fell in love with the whole Big Top experience and instantly became a fan for life. I was so excited later when I bought the CD for “30th Star” and discovered it had been recorded at that very performance. In fact, a friend who was with me that night swears she can hear me hooting and hollering between numbers. I wouldn’t be surprised.
I then lived in Mineral Point, a jewel of a town nestled in the heart of Wisconsin’s “driftless area,” for eight years before taking my current position here in Ashland. If you’ve never been there, I highly recommend it. The Fall Art Tour, Gallery Night, Shake Rag Alley, Pendarvis, the recently restored opera house – Mineral Point is an amazing place. I know, I sound like a commercial, but I really mean it. And I am sure it will be the topic of a future column.
I had visited the Chequamegon Bay area many times before ever making it my year-round residence. I had friends who owned property in Bayfield and often came up for extended vacation trips and even quick (despite the long drive!) getaways for a few days. I will never forget the first time I drove up here from Madison. The closer I got to Bayfield, the more excited, enthused and enthralled with the gorgeous scenery and natural beauty I became. It still takes my breath away. The ride up the peninsula from Ashland to Bayfield and beyond is still one of my favorites more than a decade later, except now I am fortunate enough to be able to make that drive whenever the mood strikes me.
Candace Ferguson is the night editor at The Daily Press.
3 comments:
WAY TOO GO
NITE OWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24 shopping days until Christmas
Thank you so much, Stan! I really needed a boost today.
Yup, the birth of our Savior is nigh! :)
Post a Comment