Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 5: Wisconsin's D-Day


Today is the big day here in America's Dairyland, our divisive recall election in the national spotlight with a deja vu-like showdown between Republican Gov. Scott "Imperial" Walker and Democratic Mayor of Milwaukee Tom Barrett, who lost the governorship to Walker in 2010.

Here's a little background courtesy of the traditionally pro-Walker Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

The men know each other well. They have long been the Milwaukee area's most prominent politicians. Walker served as Milwaukee County executive from 2002 to 2010 while Barrett has presided over City Hall since 2004.
But if voters think there is nothing left to learn about the candidates, they may be mistaken.
Here are the broad brush strokes: Walker, 44, the Eagle Scout and minister's son, and Barrett, 58, the "nice-guy" mayor who lives 60 yards from his boyhood home. The sprint campaign likely will reveal much more about their characters and personal convictions as they barnstorm across the state.
Is the rivalry personal?
"Oh, no," Walker said. "For us, it's purely based on substance, just two different views of the world. I think Mayor Barrett believes success in government is how many people you can get on government assistance, how many people you have who are dependent on government. My view is 180 degrees different. I think success in government is how many people are not dependent on government, how many people are off unemployment."
Barrett said, "I'm a pleasant guy, he's a pleasant guy. We certainly know how to talk about the Brewers and the Bucks. That's all good. That's important. That's part of the culture of the state of Wisconsin. I think where we're different is, he's always looking for the bad guy, the divide and conquer, whether it was Lee Holloway at the (Milwaukee) County Board or now (with criticisms of budget deficits in) the state of Illinois."

And below is the end of that same article. I found Walker's remarks pretty ironic considering the obscene and record-breaking amount of money he has secured, much of it from out-of-state corporations and PACs, using a loophole in the law which allowed him to establish a "defense fund."

Last Tuesday night in Waukesha, Walker fired up his supporters with a rousing speech in which he called for Wisconsin to move forward and fend off what he said would be intense opposition from out-of-state union interests and cash.
"They can take their money, they can take their people and they can go back to New Jersey and Washington and Chicago and anywhere else they're from because we run things in Wisconsin for the taxpayers," Walker said.
In Milwaukee, Barrett was equally tough, telling his supporters that Walker was bolstered by campaign donations from out-of-state special interests.
"Let us once again be a state where we can talk to our relatives, where we can talk to our co-workers, where we can talk to our neighbors about politics without it being a bitter fight," Barrett said. "That's our Wisconsin."

You all know where I stand...and it isn't with Snot Wanker. Anybody who lives in Wisconsin and doesn't vote today should be punched in the mouth!

9 comments:

Moonheartgirl said...

:-X

I think I must be dreaming... Is this really Wisconsin?

Santa Muerte said...

The people of CHEESE have spoken!

Santa Muerte said...

I did like the picture that MSN had on their website.
It was Scott doing a Chick Watkins,
pointing his finger at the camera and winking.

Santa Muerte said...

Speaking of Chick he just called
and is dedicating the next song on his show.
Its by Radiohead...........
"Electioneering."

Santa Muerte said...

and you call us FIBS?

Santa Muerte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Moonheartgirl said...

Hmmm, self-censorship? That isn't like you, Senor Blanco. ;-)
If it's the picture of Snotty I think it is, I have posted it here on my blog before and actually noted it made me think of Chick. LOL
I don't call you a FIB. How can I? I freely admit to being a former one myself and get called a Flatlander at work by one of the sports guys. LOL

Santa Muerte said...

I believe censorship was a spelling mistake. I wasn't anything nasty that I said!!!
Flatlander?
Haven't heard that in a long time.
Back in the early 80's I made a few trips to Madison, I think that was the last time I heard that remark.
Busy summer in O-Town doing nothing. Drought conditions, I haven't cut the grass in two weeks but the weeds are sure growing! I might have to cut them this weekend.

Santa Muerte said...

I believe censorship was a spelling mistake. I wasn't anything nasty that I said!!!
Flatlander?
Haven't heard that in a long time.
Back in the early 80's I made a few trips to Madison, I think that was the last time I heard that remark.
Busy summer in O-Town doing nothing. Drought conditions, I haven't cut the grass in two weeks but the weeds are sure growing! I might have to cut them this weekend.