Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A tip of my green bowler hat to James Cagney


Happy Saint Patrick's Day to my fellow Irishmen and to those who are kindred spirits:

After eight years of Catholic grade school, I made it a point to wear plenty of green on the playground today. ;-)
Right down to my tie-dyed, lime green, peace sign earrings. Didn't want anyone to stomp on my toes, after all. (I couldn't locate any of my shamrock earrings, even though I know I have seen them around here recently.) Not too bad a night, although I did have to give the PDF server what for.

I happened to catch a James Cagney movie tonight on TCM that surprisingly I had never seen before (and believe me, I have watched a lot of his films!) called Shake Hands With the Devil.
Released in 1959, it tells the story of a young American medical student (played by Don Murray) in Dublin who gets caught up in the Irish rebellion (against the Black and Tans, Stan!) of 1921. Cagney plays a physician from the college of surgeons who happens to be an IRA leader in his spare time. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would certainly recommend it to any Cagney fan or student of Irish history.

The high temperature has been in the mid-40s to upper 50s here the last few days and it sure feels like spring is finally in the air, but unbelievably there is still snow in the yard. Thank goodness we are free from the flooding folks are experiencing in southern Wisconsin and in Illinois! I guess it's a good thing so many of you in LaSalle County own boats. ;-)


3 comments:

Santa Muerte said...

I had 2 black & tan's.
Beautiful day.
We broke the 2003 record of 73 with
a brand new 75 degree record.
I didn't get arrested BUT.......
I woke up with fleas and my
noids hurt but their clean and kibble and bits are all over the kitchen floor!

Blew Bayou said...

Happy belated four leaf clover day lol.. Another good movie is Gangs of New York. Gotta see it V, it really gives the history on the Irish coming to America. Little bloody, but you can handle it. Have a good one!!!

Moonheartgirl said...

I do need to see that one, Blew. I remember it looked good when it came out.