




Here are some of the downtown murals for which Ashland is known. Depicting scenes from the city's history, they were painted by Kelly Meredith and Susan Prentice Martinsen between 1998 and 2005. The murals include scenes of lighthouse keepers, lumberjacks, early grocers and pioneers who settled the region. One of the most amazing murals (pictured directly above) stretches half a city block and portrays sailors, soldiers, airmen and marines from different eras. All of the faces are based on real veterans who have lived in and around the Ashland area.
10 comments:
Did you know that the mural that's right by Movies on Main contains the visage of Rick Olivo? You've got to see it to believe it. They used real folks as some of their models for that one. Rick looks hilarious.
Your streets look like they are as busy as Ottawa.
Lots of customer's coming in and out of the stores and lots of car's parked in front of the
mercentiles.
Does downtown Ashland have a Barb Mann?
Do you have a gay mayor?
How many car washes are there?
I'll bet you don't have Sesame Street murla on your elementary grad school! (HA!)
And I know your the last to know
Vicky, we've got U2 (the band)
coming to Ottawa for Riverfest!
na na na-na na!!!!
Make sure you'll come back July for the REALLY BIG PARTY!
Bring some of your Ashland friend,
we can smoke a banana before the gig. Lets fire one up I always say!
I've already went out and bought a PETA & GREENPEACE flag so that Boner can see me standing in the crowd when I wave the flags!!
Hop on the monorail when you come back.
Hi, Karen!
It's great to see you here. Thanks for that tip. I had no idea our Ricky-poo had been immortalized in mural-form. I am going to try to find a photo of that one to post on here.
Hey, Stan:
Actually, Ashland has a pretty nice downtown with lots of cool stores, including an actual J.C. Penney. As a matter of fact, I was just thinking recently how much better the downtowns are in both Mineral Point (pop. 2,600) and Ashland (pop. 8,500) as compared to O-Town (pop. 19,000). But don't worry, you guys have the market cornered hands-down on vacant lots and fences erected around toxic clean-up sites. ;-)
No, the mayor is straight. Not every town is so lucky.
I suspect there probably is a Barb Mann-type character - doesn't every small town have one?
Yeah, I read all about the big U2 concert. LOL I even commented on Murph's article on the darkside. And I was not surprised to see several people take the bait.
No, Stan - we don't have a Sesame Street "murla" here. Nor do we have a mural featuring Big Bird, Bob McGrath and the gang. ;-)
You know, I'm not sure how many car washes Ashland has. Why, are you planning a cross-country suction tour? LMAO I will research that and get back to you.
It looks like there are four car washes in town. I would recommend the Holiday Station on Ellis Avenue. They have the new anaconda-style hoses and plenty of horsepower for maximum suction.
;-)
I'm planning a midwest tour where
I will review all of the vaccums
from Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa.
4 stars will be the best vaccums
that give the best PSI with the most comfort and gentleness to one's that violently rip the flesh off of you.
The OVC has a section they will
give me in their publication, the piece will be called James and his Savage midwest car wash vaccum tour 2009.
I'm racking a tent just thinking about it!!
I'm sorry ........
Jason not James.
James is my brother.
We like the twin hose model.
Jason is a new character.
I may on occasion slip with his name, with so many personalities to choose from
this can happen and is a occupational hazard in my line of work.
NOT NOT EAT THE MORSEL THAT WAS DIPPED IN THE WINE!!!
(i learned that at church this morning!)
Happy Paschal Triduum Vicky!!!
I can't wait until I get my hands on that wabbit!!!
Post a Comment