Thursday, November 28, 2013

Passing parade of gasbags


I always enjoy watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and managed to do so again this year, thanks entirely to NBC. I initially tried watching the annual festivities on CBS because their broadcast began an hour earlier. However, after putting up with truly the worst parade coverage I have ever seen in my life, I was only too happy to switch over to NBC, where at least viewers actually got to see the friggin' parade!! 
The hapless hosts on CBS spent the majority of their airtime interviewing one lame-ass celebrity after another and plugging that individual's current TV show, movie or book, rather than letting viewers see the things they tuned in for in the first place, like the marching bands, colorful floats and giant character balloons.
Speaking of the latter, I am posting here a few examples of the airborne awesomeness on display in the 87th annual Macy's parade through the streets of Manhattan.


The above balloon depicting Finn and Jake from Cartoon Network's Adventure Time 
series marked the first time the legendary duo from the Land of Ooo 
were featured in the event.

This new Snoopy balloon was another highlight of the 2013 Thanksgiving Day parade.

This Spongebob behemoth is from the 84th annual parade in 2010, but I love this picture so I thought I would include it. This year Spongebob wore a Santa hat.

There were fears ahead of today's parade that predicted high winds could ground the colorful air show, but the balloons were allowed to fly though they were kept low and on very tight leads. According to NewYork.com: "An incident with a Cat in the Hat balloon in 1997, in which it got out of hand and knocked down a portion of a lamppost and injured four spectators was the impetus for the balloon grounding guidelines. Sixteen of the biggest balloons (among them SpongeBob, Pikachu and Spider-Man) will be deflated and sent back to New Jersey if winds are as predicted. Smaller balloons will likely proceed as planned. According to Macy’s the balloons were only grounded once in 1971."


This Spiderman shot is also from a past Macy's parade, but I thought it was cool!


Last one: A ground-level view of two of this year's best!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you said that about idiotic coverage. I've given up watching. I don't care about celebrities. If I turn on a channel to watch something - it's because I want to watch just that. Shame on them.
Neat balloons!

Anonymous said...

I've been passing gas since Friday morning and it won't stop!
Dave Marsh is watching us !!!!

Santa Muerte said...

Ya know I'm not sure which one is Jake and which one is Finn but I do know that it looks like one is doing something vile to the other from the back door entrance.
Leave it to NY to have that in the Macy's Parade.
Did Natalie WOOD (he...hehehehehe)
see Santa this year?

Santa Muerte said...

Does this mean we're friends?

Santa Muerte said...

Get that damn dog off my leg!!!!

Santa Muerte said...

Is this what Chester does in jail?

Moonheartgirl said...

Marsh is always watching...and the Bilderbergers are keeping an eye on him!
Jake is the dog. You WOOD bring poor Natalie into it. That is one of my favorite holiday movies though.
I have no idea what Chester gets up to in jail. I think they have him isolated from the general population, but I'm not sure. It sounds like he will be receiving some holiday greeting cards from the Sleuthettes tho, along with a few gifts. They are all providing him with their home addresses so he can have his pals show up and rob and kill them when they are released. Stupid is as stupid does.

Unknown said...

Do you think the Dept of Corrections gives inmates viagra? Interesting thought. I'm reminded of Richard Speck showing off his jail boobs.

Santa Muerte said...

Plastic one's with special sauce.
(inmate pussy pals)
I see your drying off the Kat,
light fluff should do.
Does it meow as it spins around?
I have to bring King to the vet tomorrow. He is a Husky/Choc Lab and is 1 and a half yrs old.
I noticed him running into things
so I brought him up to a specalist. His left eye is blind and has a tumor.
Tomorrow they are removing his eye. I know I'm doing the right thing but feel awful about the whole damn thing!
R U getting the snow storm up there? Its all over the news at the top of the hour.
We'll be getting the cold very soon.
I hate this time of year!!!!
And yes Natalie WOOD : D
(when she got older, of course)

Santa Muerte said...

And yes Richard had big boobies!
I remember seeing that on TV years ago.

Moonheartgirl said...

I am so sorry to hear about King. I am sure you do feel terrible, but it is the right thing for him. You may be surprised at how well he adjusts. Many pets lead happy lives despite such a loss. I am sure he has a good life with you and your family. Try to focus on that.
Yes, since Monday night we have gotten at least a foot of snow and it is coming down pretty good out there right now. My tires are for shit and I was sliding all over the place when I went to the bank this morning. :-(
The cat pictured at the top of my blog belongs to a friend's parents. Apparently he loves sleeping in the dryer when it is still warm. LOL They leave the door open for him and he climbs right in. He is a cutie!
I don't want to know about stupid Richard Speck's manboobs, thank you very much! LOL

Unknown said...

But Richard had silk underwear to go with the moobs. I remember the interview and said something like "if they knew how much fun I had inside here, they'd let me out"
disgusting piece of crap