Saturday, December 7, 2013

New month, new challenges


Well, it's December now and Christmas creeps ever closer with each passing moment. For the third consecutive year, it looks like I will be spending it at a friend's house up here, which will be very nice. She lives outside of Washburn, way up on a hill overlooking Lake Superior. A beautiful setting ... unless you're driving a 1997 Pontiac with bald tires. LOL 
Last year on Christmas night, my car did a 180 on the way home from her house and ended up in the ditch. (And before you ask, Stan, I was stone cold sober because I had already been anxious about the drive home. LOL) The temperature was hovering right around zero degrees and this happened on an isolated gravel road a few miles from her house. I really thought that was going to be it for me. I knew I would freeze to death before I ever made it back to her house on foot (plus, I know I couldn't have made it up that steep, winding goat path she calls a driveway). I did have plenty of gas in the tank, so maybe I could've made it through the night or until some kind stranger happened by. 
However, it was truly a Christmas miracle because even though my car is famous for getting hopelessly stuck in similar situations, I took a deep breath, calmed down, said a prayer and was able to drive that sucker right out of the ditch and back onto the road -- going the opposite direction now, of course! I was too freaked out to even think about trying to turn around, so I just went that way, a much longer route, back to Highway 13 north of Washburn and eventually, despite being pretty shook up, I made it home safe. 
I was sure the car had to be totally damaged on the side or underneath, but I just kept going and didn't get out to look until I was in the garage at home. To my amazement, I could see nothing wrong with the car! No dents, no mangled fender or quarter-panel, nothing!! I drove it the rest of the winter and when I finally did have someone look at it in May (when winter was almost over up here!), they said everything was fine. Thank you, Lord!!
Needless to say, I am not too anxious to repeat that frightening experience, so when Claire invited me again this year to spend Christmas with her and her family, I politely refused, explaining that my car is another year older as are its tires, since I have been unable to buy new ones as I had planned before becoming unemployed. Kind soul that she is, she promptly offered to give me a ride out there after she finishes with work around noon on Christmas Eve and I am going to spend the night! That way we can both have a few cocktails worry-free!! LOL The only problem I foresee now is this: I HAVE A NEW JOB!!!!
Yes, that is the other point of this post. As of Thursday, I am now a trainee at the Super One Foods deli here in Ashland. LOL It's only part-time, but I am afraid it may interfere with my holiday plans. My normal hours will be 3-9 p.m. and I don't know what days I will be working that week, so we shall see. I can't exactly ask for any time off since I am the new kid on the block, but I am really hoping the planets align for me on this one and I get to have my Christmas cheer with Claire. 
I start the new gig tomorrow at 8 a.m. (yuk!) and will be going in early this week for training. So far I am scheduled to work three days this week, but my new boss, Kim, said she will probably have me work next weekend as well since that is when they really need the help. I am just hoping I can handle such a big change because I am definitely not used to being on my feet all day and haven't worked a job like this in decades. Wish me luck cuz I am gonna need it, folks!!

PS. I am now at 20,000 hits for this blog and counting!! Thank you, dear readers! 

13 comments:

Santa Muerte said...

Freezin' For A Reason.......
Live from a Pontiac in a ditch,
for my next feat I will get out of this ditch backwards while being blindfolded and my two
feet/shoes tied together and to top it off I will drive home backwards and back into my garage
without taking off the blindfold
while downing a Budweiser in one gulp and calling in a musical requests to Chick Watkins at the
WATW studios, which are:
a. Road Rage. Catatonia
b. Air Bag. Radiohead
c. Always Crashing In The Same Car. David Bowie
d. The Carroll County Accident.
Porter Wagoner
e. Come Back Jonee. Devo
f. Crawling From The Wreckage.
by either Graham Parker or
Dave Edmunds
If you can do that............
then I will donate a dollar in your name to Karen The Mouth on WCMY for Freezin' For A Reason.

Santa Muerte said...

which by the way is Friday at Handy Foods here in Ottawa, the town of two rivers which are infested by Asian Carp and also The Lodge #40 where the favorite song is "Going Out Of My Head Over You."
Everytime I hear that song at
The Lodge my eyes roll into the back of my SKULL.

Santa Muerte said...

King is doing better.
He keeps running into shit with that damn "cone" on his head.
If I need a lamp shade for new years eve I know where I can get one.
Glad to hear you got some form of employement, Pa-strom-meeeeee for EVERYONE!!!!!
I hope you can work out something
for Christmas.
Only 16 days left for shopping.

Santa Muerte said...

33 years ago tonight:
John Lennon shot and murdered.

Moonheartgirl said...

I love your new profile pic! LOL

I am glad to hear that King is doing better. That cone is probably too small to fit your fat head.

Thanks a lot for making fun of my life-threatening experience. ;-) (Winks and points raygun at you)

Unknown said...

Scary stuff that snow. I hate driving in it. I'll put a word in with Santa maybe he'll find some good tires for you.
Love the song list for the ditch gig Santa. lol

Moonheartgirl said...

Thanks, Red! Yeah, I gotta admit, the song list is pretty funny. Crash helmets off to Stan on that one!

Santa Muerte said...

Don't say CRASH when I'm in the room DAMN IT!
Now I gotta run over to The Lodge
for a quick-E SKULL Session.
BTW......the cone wood fit.
King being part Huskie has a BIG neck, so now I have a lampshade for new years eve.
He gets his stitches out 12/19.
I was wrong on John Lennon, he was shot 12-08 not 12-09 : (
but it was so late in the night I get confused and think it was the 9th, plus with his fixation with.......
NUMBER 9
NUMBER 9
NUMBER 9
#9
#9 Dream
I remember turning on WLS (that night) and the dumb asses were playing Paul song's:
Hey Jude and Yesterday.
That was one of his fears, they'd honor him some day, wheel him on stage in a wheel chair and give him a plaque for Yesterday.
Now for something completely different..........
The Darkside has a brief article
about a state trooper finding a WOLF corpse on Route 39 (ditch)
I walk early in the morning (6am)
and on the last Monday saw a cougar a block and a half away from me, I shined my flashlight and it ran off. I called DNR to report it, two weeks later it was killed in a barn in NW Illinois.
I hope it was the same cougar. That is the 2nd big cat I've seen in 5 years. Run into coyotes all the time, don't mind em' one at a time, hopefully never in a pack.
I was putting up my snow fence out in the yard, one came out from my backyard crossed the street and just stared at me, like what the fuck are you doing you dumb human! Now with the 2 inches of snow I see all types of paw prints, coyotes, mice, kats,
rabbits (got a lot of them) deer.
15 more shopping days until the big guy comes down the chimney
(CRASSSSHHHHH!)
(stan dials phone.......)
ring ring.....ring ring......
"Hello.....This is Lodge #40, where our customers come first, how may I help you"?
BAMBI? Yeah, its Stan, set me up with an appointment, 1/2 hour?
I'll be there with bells on!
(click.....hangs up phone)
Now.......where was I?
OH YEAH! Chimney........got 2 go,
stay out of the ditch, send me a ham & cheese on rye when the boss ain't looking.
Hope Xmas works out, otherwise I could send you a shipment of coal like in that Fed-X commercial.
BEARS WIN!
Cowboys suck more than the Bears!!!!
Dick-ka looked cold last night....
DISCOUNT DOUBLE CHECK......
DA BEARS!

Santa Muerte said...

Freezin' for a Reason live on Ottawa radio, why is Chick doing this to us?
All of these kids from the various schools singing the same songs, how original !!
I hope one of them throw up on Karen the Mouth.

Santa Muerte said...

Snow Storm coming??
Looks like Red will get more than we will here in O-Town.

Unknown said...

Karen is still there? Egads. Really don't have a close radio station here. So last one I've listened to was WCMY. No matter, it isn't the same without Jim French anyway. The voice of beautiful downtown Ottawa.
Number Nine.........

Moonheartgirl said...

I knew you had the date wrong for John Lennon's death, but I refrained from correcting you. ;-) I remember that night, too. We were living in the front apartment at 620 Adams St. and heard it on the TV. One of those shocking moments you just can't believe are true.
I would gladly send you a ham and cheese on rye, but they aren't letting me make the sandwiches yet. In fact, all I seem to do is slice meat and wait on customers. I will try to blog about it soon, but will have to change the names to protect the innocent -- ME!
I still don't know about Christmas because my boss hasn't posted the fucking schedule yet for next week. Can you believe that shit?! What if people actually had lives and needed to be able to make plans? I have applied for a couple other jobs and if I get one of them I will be waving buh-bye to my deli career while I still have all 10 fingers. (Cut one yesterday on the slicer and it bled for 20 minutes!)

Moonheartgirl said...

So did I hear right? The Bears are leading their division?! That is awesome!!