
A bumpy ride
The apartment I live in now has a no pets policy which is a drag for me, but in reality, it's probably just as well because in my current financial situation I can't really afford to have one anyway. Ever since I was a child though, I have always had a cat around and this is the longest (9 years) I have ever been without one.
I had to put my last cat, Samwise (aka Sammer the Hammer and Sammy Sidewinder), to sleep in 1999. He was almost 18 years old, had diabetes, and his kidneys were starting to fail. It was a rough time in my life made even worse by the loss of what often seemed like my only friend. I wish I had a photo of him on my 'puter that I could post, but I don't and don't have my scanner hooked up at the moment. So the above image will have to do.
At the time he died, I had known Sam for almost half my life. I still miss him big time and even dream about him sometimes. I remember when I was in my early 20s, my mom called me on the phone crying because her beloved cat, Charlie (also a grey tabby like Sam), had died. For weeks afterward, she would cry on the phone and tell me how much she missed Charlie whenever we spoke. And in my youthful arrogance, I actually felt annoyed with my mom and thought, jeesh, why doesn't she get over it already! How pathetic, carrying on over a stupid cat, blah-blah-blah...
Well, guess what, folks?! Karma's a bee-yatch! Cuz now I know exactly how she felt and it's just one of the many things in my relationship with my mom (who died over 20 years ago) that I wish I could go back and do over.
Moral of this story: Be tolerant and understanding of other people's (esp. your mom's) emotions and troubles because someday you may find yourself riding in that same streetcar. And fasten your seat belts because it's a bumpy ride!
No comments:
Post a Comment